Friday, May 21, 2010

Running with TWO Dogs

So when I started this blog, there was only one - Penelope. Hence, the title.


Well as I've mentioned, we've since added to the pack. And it turns out, although Penelope will always be my special running partner, Lela may turn out to be the better runner.


She is bigger than Penelope and as a German Shepherd she can just go and go and go.


She is stronger though and I'm hoping my arms are getting toned from holding on to both leashes.


We've had some fits and starts and I've struggled with how to keep them under control and not get dragged down the road, but for better or worse, the three of us run together now. We've gone through harnesses, harnesses with the leash clipped on the front and now pincher collars. It kind of broke my heart to get the pincher collars, but it seems to work and helps me to keep them by my side and slowly they are learning to run without pulling ahead.


Lela only falls in step though when I am running at her preferred pace, which happens to be considerably faster than my own. Oh well, guess it is good interval training.


Somedays when it is hot and I need to go for a longer run, I try to split it up and trade dogs mid-run. Apparently for the people in the house with the left behind dog (Justin & Stella), it's not so fun. They hate to be left behind. If I leave Lela and take Penny for 3 miles, Lela stands at the door and whimpers and whines. When I leave Penny, she sits in the bay window and just stares sadly out the window (see below).


I've gotten Justin to start running a bit again, so then at least we can each take one. So they hate to be left out, but they do seem to love it when they get to run alone.


The other morning I took only Penelope and I hate to admit it, but I loved it. Reminded me of our first runs and I think she felt the same way. She seemed so happy and excited. I love Lela dearly, but there's something special about Running with Penny.
I think as we head into summer, trading out dogs on longer runs may become a necessity so they don't overheat. Even though for long runs, I bring a water belt largely filled with water for them, I don't want them to overdo it and so I may need to split them up.
But I do love running with my pack. It's certainly not something you see every day and when they jump into their postions - Lela always on the left, Penny always on the right - and we set off down the road, I think how lucky I am to have such great dogs..... until we see a squirrel.......

No comments:

Post a Comment